Last year, I received Angela Liddon’s The Oh She Glows Cookbook. The book is three hundred pages of beautiful, mouth watering, and flavorful recipes that I don’t have enough time to try. Her soups and salads in particular make me sad that my job doesn’t revolve around recipe testing.
Angela’s “Eat Your Greens” Detox Soup is perfect for detoxing after an indulgent weekend or holiday break because the spices and vegetables are little fat-burning, toxin-purifying machines. From ginger to turmeric to kale, this soup has it all. The one bad thing about this soup (for me, at least) is that it’s vegan. I know I need meat to keep me going, so I added chicken. If you don’t want meat and prefer a vegan/ vegetarian lifestyle, feel free to take it out.
Here’s my minimally changed version of Angela’s delicious soup.
Eat Your Greens Detox Soup
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
Total time: 50 min
4 tsp olive oil
1 Spanish onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 1/2 to 3 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups torn kale leaves
2 large chicken thighs, or 4 small ones
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots and broccoli. Season liberally with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes more, or until the chicken is done.
- Add the kale when the chicken is cooked through. It will be cooked when the chicken is fully white on the outside and inside (take it out of the pan and cut it in half). Shred the pieces with a fork.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.